Here we are once again. It is mid March and I am late getting my garden started. Some of you up north might be wondering what I’m talking about because you still have snow on the ground and ice on the lakes. It just so happens that I live in Ormond Beach, Florida. Here in Florida the planting season begins quite early; for some plants it starts as early as January. I am guessing this is because the Florida summer is an excellent substitute for the biblical version of hell. If the Armageddon of summer storms doesn’t scatter your garden down the block the heat will turn it into a pile of ash. I suppose if I had remembered to water them properly the last couple of years that wouldn’t have happened.
I Live in a town house and I don’t have much of a yard so I have been reduced to container gardening. This will be my third year gardening out of containers. Last year was better than the first, but was by no means a success. At the end of this entry I repost one I wrote at the end of my first dismal attempt. This year things are going to be different. I have found the secret weapon of urban gardening. I have discovered Global Buckets (www.globalbuckets.org). The key to my success with these buckets is they are self watering and the plants require little maintenance. By now you are wondering why even bother having a garden if I don’t want to do the work. The answer to that is simple. Nothing beats the taste of homegrown organic vegetables and with the economy the way it is saving some money is a really good thing (I’m still trying to figure that last part out).
No comments:
Post a Comment